Can't compile graph-tool on Solus, not enough RAM

classic Classic list List threaded Threaded
11 messages Options
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|  
Report Content as Inappropriate

Can't compile graph-tool on Solus, not enough RAM

padraigmac
I have a laptop with 8GB RAM and 6GB swap yet when I try to make graph-tool it always runs out of RAM while compiling graph_blockmodel.hh:236:2
If I try with GCC it gives usually is killed but sometimes restarts the computer, if I try with clang it restarts the computer.

I'm using Solus as my distro.
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|  
Report Content as Inappropriate

Re: Can't compile graph-tool on Solus, not enough RAM

Alexandre Hannud Abdo
Ni! Hi Padraig,

Some things which might help us help you:

a) gcc version you're using
b) graph-tool version you're compiling
c) how much ram do you actually have available when you start your compilation
d) the actual error message coming out of gcc

cheers,

ale
.~´


On Wed, Jun 28, 2017 at 12:34 PM, padraigmac <[hidden email]> wrote:
I have a laptop with 8GB RAM and 6GB swap yet when I try to make graph-tool
it always runs out of RAM while compiling graph_blockmodel.hh:236:2
If I try with GCC it gives usually is killed but sometimes restarts the
computer, if I try with clang it restarts the computer.

I'm using Solus as my distro.



--
View this message in context: http://main-discussion-list-for-the-graph-tool-project.982480.n3.nabble.com/Can-t-compile-graph-tool-on-Solus-not-enough-RAM-tp4027271.html
Sent from the Main discussion list for the graph-tool project mailing list archive at Nabble.com.
_______________________________________________
graph-tool mailing list
[hidden email]
https://lists.skewed.de/mailman/listinfo/graph-tool


_______________________________________________
graph-tool mailing list
[hidden email]
https://lists.skewed.de/mailman/listinfo/graph-tool
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|  
Report Content as Inappropriate

Re: Can't compile graph-tool on Solus, not enough RAM

padraigmac
Hi Ale,

I did mean to provide the error message but the last time I tried to run it it restarted the computer so I couldn't get it but I got it again there, it got a little further this time:

 graph_blockmodel.hh:236:28: note: here
                           case weight_type::REAL_EXPONENTIAL:
                            ^~~~
{standard input}: Assembler messages:
{standard input}:625641: Warning: end of file not at end of a line; newline inserted
{standard input}:626860: Error: expected comma after name `_ZZZ11export_lsbmvENKUlPT_E_clIN10graph_tool10BlockStateIJN5boost18undirected_adaptorINS5_8adj_listImEEEENS5_29unchecked_vector_property_mapISt6vectorISt5tupleIJmmmEESaISD_EENS5_27typed_identity_property_mapImEEEESt17integral_constantIbLb0EESJ_IbLb1EENS5_3anyESM_SM_NSA_IiNS5_27adj_edge_index_property_mapImEEEENSA_I' in .size directive
g++: internal compiler error: Killed (program cc1plus)
Please submit a full bug report,
with preprocessed source if appropriate.


I'm using gcc version 7.10 trying to compile graph-tool version 2.22/

When I started the compilation I had 7.0G available according to free -h. However the while the swap was free it doesn't say anything under available there if that's a problem. Swap is on and I can hibernate.

Thanks,

Pádraig

Alexandre Hannud Abdo wrote
Ni! Hi Padraig,

Some things which might help us help you:

a) gcc version you're using
b) graph-tool version you're compiling
c) how much ram do you actually have available when you start your
compilation
d) the actual error message coming out of gcc

cheers,

ale
.~´


On Wed, Jun 28, 2017 at 12:34 PM, padraigmac <[hidden email]>
wrote:

> I have a laptop with 8GB RAM and 6GB swap yet when I try to make graph-tool
> it always runs out of RAM while compiling graph_blockmodel.hh:236:2
> If I try with GCC it gives usually is killed but sometimes restarts the
> computer, if I try with clang it restarts the computer.
>
> I'm using Solus as my distro.
>
>
>
> --
> View this message in context: http://main-discussion-list-
> for-the-graph-tool-project.982480.n3.nabble.com/Can-t-
> compile-graph-tool-on-Solus-not-enough-RAM-tp4027271.html
> Sent from the Main discussion list for the graph-tool project mailing list
> archive at Nabble.com.
> _______________________________________________
> graph-tool mailing list
> [hidden email]
> https://lists.skewed.de/mailman/listinfo/graph-tool
>

_______________________________________________
graph-tool mailing list
[hidden email]
https://lists.skewed.de/mailman/listinfo/graph-tool
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|  
Report Content as Inappropriate

Re: Can't compile graph-tool on Solus, not enough RAM

Tiago Peixoto
Administrator
On 28.06.2017 14:28, padraigmac wrote:

> Hi Ale,
>
> I did mean to provide the error message but the last time I tried to run it
> it restarted the computer so I couldn't get it but I got it again there, it
> got a little further this time:
>
>  graph_blockmodel.hh:236:28: note: here
>                            case weight_type::REAL_EXPONENTIAL:
>                             ^~~~
> {standard input}: Assembler messages:
> {standard input}:625641: Warning: end of file not at end of a line; newline
> inserted
> {standard input}:626860: Error: expected comma after name
> `_ZZZ11export_lsbmvENKUlPT_E_clIN10graph_tool10BlockStateIJN5boost18undirected_adaptorINS5_8adj_listImEEEENS5_29unchecked_vector_property_mapISt6vectorISt5tupleIJmmmEESaISD_EENS5_27typed_identity_property_mapImEEEESt17integral_constantIbLb0EESJ_IbLb1EENS5_3anyESM_SM_NSA_IiNS5_27adj_edge_index_property_mapImEEEENSA_I'
> in .size directive
> g++: internal compiler error: Killed (program cc1plus)
> Please submit a full bug report,
> with preprocessed source if appropriate.
>
>
> I'm using gcc version 7.10 trying to compile graph-tool version 2.22/
>
> When I started the compilation I had 7.0G available according to free -h.
> However the while the swap was free it doesn't say anything under available
> there if that's a problem. Swap is on and I can hibernate.
I recommend you try the current git version, which should require less
memory for that part to compile.

Best,
Tiago

--
Tiago de Paula Peixoto <[hidden email]>




_______________________________________________
graph-tool mailing list
[hidden email]
https://lists.skewed.de/mailman/listinfo/graph-tool

signature.asc (849 bytes) Download Attachment
--
Tiago de Paula Peixoto <tiago@skewed.de>
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|  
Report Content as Inappropriate

Re: Can't compile graph-tool on Solus, not enough RAM

padraigmac
Got further using the current git version but still couldn't compile it:

CXX      graph_similarity.lo
{standard input}: Assembler messages:
{standard input}:17833566: Warning: end of file not at end of a line; newline inserted
{standard input}:17833641: Error: unknown pseudo-op: `.'
{standard input}: Error: open CFI at the end of file; missing .cfi_endproc directive
g++: internal compiler error: Killed (program cc1plus)
Please submit a full bug report,
with preprocessed source if appropriate.
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|  
Report Content as Inappropriate

Re: Can't compile graph-tool on Solus, not enough RAM

padraigmac
Just to update, I increased the Swap and it compiled okay. Took 15GB at it's peak, at one point I had 330MB memory free!
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|  
Report Content as Inappropriate

Re: Can't compile graph-tool on Solus, not enough RAM

Tiago Peixoto
Administrator
On 30.06.2017 11:03, padraigmac wrote:
> Just to update, I increased the Swap and it compiled okay. Took 15GB at it's
> peak, at one point I had 330MB memory free!

This is very strange; I never observed anything close to this.

Are you sure you are not compiling in parallel?

--
Tiago de Paula Peixoto <[hidden email]>


_______________________________________________
graph-tool mailing list
[hidden email]
https://lists.skewed.de/mailman/listinfo/graph-tool

signature.asc (849 bytes) Download Attachment
--
Tiago de Paula Peixoto <tiago@skewed.de>
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|  
Report Content as Inappropriate

Re: Can't compile graph-tool on Solus, not enough RAM

padraigmac
Sorry for the incredibly slow response, I took a screen grab of top while it was compiling at one stage, see here. It didn't seem to compile in parallel no.
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|  
Report Content as Inappropriate

Re: Can't compile graph-tool on Solus, not enough RAM

Tiago Peixoto
Administrator
On 19.07.2017 11:00, padraigmac wrote:
> Sorry for the incredibly slow response, I took a screen grab of top while it
> was compiling at one stage, see  here <http://http://imgur.com/a/gBbki>  .
> It didn't seem to compile in parallel no.

It's using 7 gigs in this case, not 15.

I noticed you were using graph-tool 2.22. You should try the git version,
which has been modified to use less memory during compilation.

--
Tiago de Paula Peixoto <[hidden email]>




_______________________________________________
graph-tool mailing list
[hidden email]
https://lists.skewed.de/mailman/listinfo/graph-tool

signature.asc (849 bytes) Download Attachment
--
Tiago de Paula Peixoto <tiago@skewed.de>
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|  
Report Content as Inappropriate

Re: Can't compile graph-tool on Solus, not enough RAM

padraigmac
That must have been when I tried it first before turning swap on then, I thought I took other ones but I guess not. I did compile the master version in the end after you suggested it above but I didn't take any screen grabs that time. What I'll do is try and compile it again later and if I get any memory spikes I'll screenshot it and post it here.
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|  
Report Content as Inappropriate

Re: Can't compile graph-tool on Solus, not enough RAM

padraigmac
It ran out of memory the first time it got to graph_similarity.lo but the second time it finished it barely, here is a screen shot, it got to 7.9G in swap (+7.3G in Mem) and then went on to the next one.
Loading...